Thursday, January 19, 2006

So.. you want work??

It is 6.30 in the evening and I am cursing myself. Why, why I wanted to be worth the amount of money I was being paid for just billing the client and surfing net? When I was a kid I read a story about every hero being stupid and I liked that a lot but that might be the topic of some other blog, let me not digress.
It just happened the other day. Sick and tired of warming the bench, I mustered the courage and walked upto my team lead and asked for work.(For those of you are unaware, I am a software engineer). And he smiled, benevolent I thought, I now know, it was otherwise.
Smiles can be so misleading..you need the entirety of the individual to realize the exact nature of it, the exact curve of laugh line, the twinkle in the eyes, the glow on the face, and I was mislead.
"So, you want work?"
“Yes"
"Hmm, let me see.."
And I stood there waiting..
"I'll let you know the moment something comes up"
Good. At least things are moving, I thought.
The day was meandering towards an uneventful end.
Just when I was surfing and checking my mails, a window popped up "mail: Sub: Task of the day"
I looked at my watch; it is 15 minutes to the day. But atleast I had something to do. I was excited.
I opened the mail and it was some documentation.
The rest is history. I have been doing documentation for so long now that I do not remember what writing a line of code is.
All I wanted to do was to add value..to the organization and myself..I am told that I am doing that.. and how?
I can envisage him smiling everytime he sends me a mail, asking for more documents to be created, I know, behind those glasses fitted in a golden frame, those eyes have a sparkle, like the one a butcher has everytime he sees a fat chicken. Resting on the chair, pushing it back as far as it can go, he smiles.
Only if I knew what that smile means.

No comments: